Important Safety Information
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION AND INDICATION
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION AND INDICATION
REVATIO is contraindicated in patients with concomitant use of organic nitrates in any form, either regularly or intermittently, because of the greater risk of hypotension.
REVATIO is contraindicated in patients with concomitant use of riociguat, a soluble guanylate cyclase (sGC) stimulator medication. PDE5 inhibitors, including sildenafil, may potentiate the hypotensive effects of riociguat.
REVATIO is contraindicated in patients with a known hypersensitivity to sildenafil or any other ingredient in REVATIO. Hypersensitivity, including anaphylactic reaction, anaphylactic shock, and anaphylactoid reaction has been reported in association with the use of sildenafil.
Use of REVATIO, particularly chronic use, is not recommended in children.
Before starting REVATIO, physicians should carefully consider whether their patients with underlying conditions could be adversely affected by the mild and transient vasodilatory effects of REVATIO on blood pressure. Pulmonary vasodilators may significantly worsen the cardiovascular status of patients with pulmonary veno-occlusive disease (PVOD), and administration of REVATIO to these patients is not recommended. Should signs of pulmonary edema occur when sildenafil is administered, the possibility of associated PVOD should be considered.
Caution is advised when PDE5 inhibitors, such as REVATIO, are administered with α−blockers as both are vasodilators with blood pressure-lowering effects.
In PAH patients, the concomitant use of vitamin K antagonists and REVATIO resulted in a greater incidence of reports of bleeding (primarily epistaxis) versus placebo. The incidence of epistaxis was higher in patients with PAH secondary to CTD (sildenafil 13%, placebo 0%) than in PPH patients (sildenafil 3%, placebo 2%).
Co-administration of REVATIO with potent CYP3A4 inhibitors (eg, ketoconazole, itraconazole, and ritonavir) is not recommended as serum concentrations of sildenafil substantially increase. Co-administration of REVATIO with potent CYP3A4 inducers, such as barbiturates, carbamazepine, phenytoin, efavirenz, nevirapine, rifampin, and rifabutin is expected to cause substantial decreases in plasma levels of sildenafil. Treatment with doses higher than 20 mg 3 times a day is not recommended.
Non-arteritic anterior ischemic optic neuropathy (NAION) has been reported post marketing in temporal association with the use of PDE5 inhibitors for the treatment of erectile dysfunction, including sildenafil. Physicians should advise patients to seek immediate medical attention in the event of sudden loss of vision while taking PDE5 inhibitors, including REVATIO. Physicians should also discuss the increased risk of NAION with patients who have already experienced NAION in one eye, including whether such individuals could be adversely affected by use of vasodilators, such as PDE5 inhibitors.
Sudden decrease or loss of hearing has been reported in temporal association with the intake of PDE5 inhibitors, including REVATIO. It is not possible to determine whether these events are related directly to the use of PDE5 inhibitors or to other factors. Physicians should advise patients to seek prompt medical attention in the event of sudden decrease or loss of hearing while taking PDE5 inhibitors, including REVATIO.
REVATIO should be used with caution in patients with anatomical deformation of the penis or patients who have conditions which may predispose them to priapism.
The effectiveness of REVATIO in pulmonary hypertension (PH) secondary to sickle cell anemia has not been established. In a small, prematurely terminated study of patients with PH secondary to sickle cell disease, vaso-occlusive crises requiring hospitalization were more commonly reported by patients who received REVATIO than by those randomized to placebo.
Patients with retinitis pigmentosa and patients on bosentan did not participate in the preapproval clinical trial. The safety of REVATIO is unknown in patients with bleeding disorders and patients with active peptic ulceration. In these patients, physicians should prescribe REVATIO with caution.
REVATIO contains sildenafil, the same active ingredient found in VIAGRA®. Combinations of REVATIO with VIAGRA or other PDE5 inhibitors have not been studied. Patients taking REVATIO should not take VIAGRA or other PDE5 inhibitors.
Limited published data from randomized controlled trials, case-controlled trials, and case series do not report a clear association with sildenafil and major birth defects, miscarriage, or adverse maternal or fetal outcomes when sildenafil is used during pregnancy. There are risks to the mother and fetus from untreated PAH.
Limited published data from a case report describe the presence of sildenafil and its active metabolite in human milk. There is insufficient information about the effects of sildenafil on the breastfed infant and no information on the effects of sildenafil on milk production. Limited clinical data during lactation preclude a clear determination of the risk of REVATIO to an infant during lactation.
The most common side effects of REVATIO greater than or equal to 3% were epistaxis, headache, dyspepsia, flushing, insomnia, erythema, dyspnea, and rhinitis. Adverse events of REVATIO injection were similar to those seen with oral tablets.
The most common side effects of REVATIO (placebo-subtracted) as an adjunct to intravenous epoprostenol were headache (23%), edema (14%), dyspepsia (14%), pain in extremity (11%), diarrhea (7%), nausea (7%), and nasal congestion (7%).
At doses higher than the recommended 20 mg TID, there was a greater incidence of some adverse events, including flushing, diarrhea, myalgia, and visual disturbances.
No dose adjustment required for renal impaired.
No dose adjustment required for mild to moderate hepatic impaired. Severe impairment has not been studied.
REVATIO is a phosphodiesterase-5 (PDE5) inhibitor indicated for the treatment of pulmonary arterial hypertension (PAH) (WHO Group I) in adults to improve exercise ability and delay clinical worsening. Studies establishing effectiveness were short-term (12 to 16 weeks) and included predominately patients with NYHA Functional Class II-III symptoms. Etiologies were idiopathic (71%) or associated with connective tissue disease (25%).
Limitation of Use: Adding sildenafil to bosentan therapy does not result in any beneficial effect on exercise capacity.
Terms and Conditions
By participating in the REVATIO® (sildenafil) Savings Offer Program, you acknowledge that you currently meet the eligibility criteria and will comply with the terms and conditions described below:
- Patients are not eligible to use this Savings Offer if they are enrolled in a state or federally funded insurance program, including but not limited to Medicare, Medicaid, TRICARE, Veteran Affairs healthcare, a state prescription drug assistance program, or the Government Health Insurance Plan available in Puerto Rico (formerly known as “La Reforma de Salud”)
- Patients must have private insurance. This Savings Offer is not valid for cash-paying patients. The value of this Savings Offer is limited to $1,000 per use or the amount of your co-pay, whichever is less
- This Savings Offer is not valid when the entire cost of your prescription drug is eligible to be reimbursed by your private insurance plans or other health or pharmacy benefit programs
- You must deduct the savings received under this program from any reimbursement request submitted to your insurance plan, either directly by you or on your behalf
- You are responsible for reporting use of this Savings Offer to any private insurer, health plan, or other third party who pays for or reimburses any part of the prescription filled using this Savings Offer, as may be required. You should not use this Savings Offer if your insurer or health plan prohibits use of manufacturer Savings Offers
- Eligible patients may pay a minimum of $0 per monthly prescription fill. By using this Savings Offer, eligible patients may receive a savings of up to $1,000 per fill off their co-pay or out-of-pocket costs. This Savings Offer is available for a maximum savings of $12,000 per year ($1,000 per month x 12 months). This Savings Offer may limit your prescription cost to $0, subject to a $1,000 maximum monthly benefit. Thus, if your co-pay or out-of-pocket cost is more than $1,000, you will save $1,000 off of your co-pay or total out-of-pocket costs. [Example: If your co-pay or out-of-pocket costs are $1,025, you will pay $25 ($1,025 – $1,000 = $25).] If your co-pay or out-of-pocket costs are no more than $1,000, you pay $0. For a mail-order 3-month prescription, your total maximum savings may be $3,000 ($1,000 x 3)
- You must be 18 years of age or older to redeem this Savings Offer
- This Savings Offer is not valid (i) for Massachusetts residents or (ii) for California residents whose prescriptions are covered, in whole or in part, by third-party insurance
- This Savings Offer is not valid where prohibited by law
- This Savings Offer cannot be combined with any other rebate/coupon, free trial, or similar offer for the specified prescription
- This Savings Offer will be accepted only at participating pharmacies
- This Savings Offer is not health insurance
- This Savings Offer may not be redeemed more than once per 30 days per patient
- This Savings Offer is good only in the U.S. and Puerto Rico
- This Savings Offer is limited to 1 per person during this offering period and is not transferable
- No other purchase is necessary
- Data related to your redemption of this Savings Offer may be collected, analyzed, and shared with Pfizer for market research and other purposes related to assessing Pfizer’s programs. Data shared with Pfizer will be aggregated and de-identified; it will be combined with data related to other Savings Offer redemptions and will not identify you
- Pfizer reserves the right to rescind, revoke, or amend the program without notice
- No membership fees. This Savings Offer and Program expire on 12/31/2021
- For further information, call 1-866-732-4468, visit REVATIO.com, or write: Pfizer Inc., 235 E 42nd Street, New York, NY 10017
If your pharmacy does not participate, you may be able to submit a request for a rebate in connection with this Savings Offer. Pay for your REVATIO prescription and mail copy of original pharmacy receipt (cash register receipt NOT valid) with product name, date, and amount circled to: REVATIO Savings Offer, 2250 Perimeter Park Drive, Suite 300, Morrisville, NC 27560. Be sure to include a copy of the front of your REVATIO Savings Card, your name, and mailing address. Please expect up to 4 to 6 weeks for reimbursement.
Reference: 1. REVATIO [Prescribing Information]. New York, NY: Pfizer; February 2020.