XALATAN safety information
XALATAN® (latanoprost ophthalmic solution) is contraindicated in patients with known hypersensitivity to latanoprost, benzalkonium chloride, or any other ingredients in this product.
XALATAN may cause changes to pigmented tissues. Most frequently reported changes are increased pigmentation of the iris, periorbital tissue (eyelid), and eyelashes. Pigmentation is expected to increase as long as XALATAN is administered. Iris pigmentation is likely to be permanent. Eyelid skin darkening and eyelash changes may be reversible. The effects beyond 5 years are unknown.
XALATAN should be used with caution in patients with a history of intraocular inflammation (iritis/uveitis) and should generally not be used in patients with active intraocular inflammation.
XALATAN should be used with caution in aphakic patients, in pseudophakic patients with a torn posterior lens capsule, or in patients with known risk factors for macular edema.
XALATAN should be used with caution in patients with a history of herpetic keratitis.
There have been reports of bacterial keratitis associated with the use of multiple-dose containers of topical ophthalmic products.
The preservative in XALATAN, benzalkonium chloride, may be absorbed by contact lenses. Contact lenses should be removed prior to administration of XALATAN. Contact lenses should be reinserted 15 minutes following administration.
The most common reported adverse events (5%-15%) in XALATAN clinical trials included blurred vision, burning and stinging, conjunctival hyperemia, foreign-body sensation, itching, increased iris pigmentation, and punctate epithelial keratopathy.
The combined use of 2 or more prostaglandins or prostaglandin analogs, including XALATAN, is not recommended. It has been shown that administration of these prostaglandin drug products more than once daily may decrease the intraocular–pressure lowering effect or cause paradoxical elevations in IOP.
XALATAN is indicated for the reduction of elevated intraocular pressure (IOP) in patients with open-angle glaucoma or ocular hypertension.
- The Card is not valid for prescriptions that are eligible to be reimbursed, in whole or in part, by Medicaid, Medicare, or other federal or state healthcare programs, including any state prescription drug assistance programs and the Government Health Insurance Plan available in Puerto Rico (formerly known as “La Reforma de Salud”)
- The Card is not valid for prescriptions that are eligible to be reimbursed by private insurance plans or other health or pharmacy benefit programs, which reimburse you for the entire cost of your prescription drugs
- Patients must be 18 or older
- You must deduct the savings received under this program from any reimbursement request submitted to your insurance plan, either directly by you or on your behalf
- By using the Card, eligible patients may receive a savings of up to $125 per fill off their monthly out-of-pocket costs on quantities of 7.49 mL and below. The Card is good for a maximum savings of $1,500 per year ($125 per month x 12 months). Thus, if your out-of-pocket cost is more than $125, you will save $125 off of your total out-of-pocket costs. [Example: If your out-of-pocket cost is $150, you will pay $25 ($150-$125 = $25).] If your out-of-pocket cost is $125 or less, your out-of-pocket cost is $0. For a mail-order 3-month prescription (quantities greater than 7.50 mL), your total maximum savings may be $375 ($125 x 3)
- The Card is not valid for Massachusetts residents whose prescriptions are covered, in whole or in part, by third-party insurance, or where otherwise prohibited by law
- The Card cannot be combined with any other rebate/coupon, free trial, or similar offer for the specified prescription
- The Card will be accepted only at participating pharmacies
- The Card is not health insurance
- This offer is good only in the U.S. and Puerto Rico
- The Card is limited to one per person during this offering period and is not transferable
- Pfizer reserves the right to rescind, revoke, or amend this offer without notice at any time
- No membership fees. The Card and Program expire on 12/31/17